Whoever said a Solitaire is a girl’s best friend should consider about bras first! Yes, girls have varied feeling towards their bras — confusion, love, fantasy, craving, need! Bras are girls’ best friends right from the start of their puberty. They boost confidence, give warmth and coziness, and enhances girls’ natural beauty.
Given its importance in a girl’s clothing and wardrobe, it makes sense to know some basics about bras. This article will help you to learn some basics about bra selection, size calculation, tips to take care of your bras, and a lot more! Let’s move on!
Why do girls need a bra?
As soon as a girl enters puberty, the breasts start growing. Essentially, breasts are a mix of milk-producing tissues and supporting muscles beneath them. The tissues are both milk producing and fatty. The size of the fatty tissue decides the size of a woman’s breast.
- Bras can give protection and support to the breast.
- They remove the discomfort of nipple show and makes a girl feel more comfortable and confident.
- They give a firm look instead of that saggy appearance that is shown when no bra is worn.
- Give a girl the light lingerie, and she can conquer the world.
Bra Size Measurement
Knowing bra size is important to select a bra of correct fit. An incorrect bra would add to the discomfort and also damage the look of your curves.
To know the size of the bra that fits you correctly, take a measuring tape and do the following steps:
- Measure the circumference of the rib cage, right below your breasts. Run tape around and hold it tight to cover the entire ribcage. Note the value in cm. This is called the Underbust
- Now run the tape around your breasts over their fullest points and the back. Note this down in cm. This is called Over Bust.
There lies another term called Cup size for a bra. To find cup size, add 4 inches to your underbust measurement if it is an even number, or add 5 inches if underbust is an odd number.
Subtract this measurement from the Band size. The difference is your Cup measurement.
- Look at the values here. The difference is represented in alphabets, and this is commonly called Cup size.
1" = A
2" = B
3" = C
4" = D
5" = DD
Now, pick a bra that has the size mentioned on its label. You can go for a smaller size if you don’t find a perfect number because bras tend to stretch over time.
Types of Bras
Depending on your need, you can select a variety of bras that perfectly suits an occasion. Here are some of such ideas:
- Push–up bra: For a sexy look
- Padded Bra: To avoid nipple show. Best for Western wear and Office wear
- T-shirt bra: Especially for t-shirt lovers
- Convertible bra: Comes with customizable straps for different looks
- Strapless bra: For all those off shoulder dress lovers
- Sports bra: Specifically designed for sports and workouts
- Plunge bra: For those deep neck and cleavage showing outfits
- Stick-on bra: For backless dresses
- Maternity bra: Supportive and breastfeeding friendly
- Minimizer bra: For those who have a large size of the bust
What a girl needs to know about bras?
- If you are first time user of the bra, go for “training bra.” This is designed for all girls who are new to bra usage and give you comfort and idea on how to use and pick your next bra.
- If you are a sports lover or a fitness enthusiast, never compromise on bra selection. Choose branded bras designed for sports and fitness, because they support your breasts and prevent them for sagging easily.
- It can be tough to settle down on size if you are new to bras. You have to try 2-3 for some time and then decide which is comfortable for you. Experience helps a lot in choosing bras!!
- Soft cup bras fit everyone equally without boosting or flattening breasts’ appearance.
- If your breast cup size is C or larger, underwire bras help in offering better support.
- Bras are unique for every girl. If it fits your friend, it does not necessarily fit you.
- Washing bras in the washing machine may damage their fitness and shape eventually.
- Always wash bras with hand using normal water and dry them in the shade.
- Your bra size keeps changing. It is recommended to replace bras once every 6 months.
- It is a myth that sleeping in bra retains firmness of breasts. Take off bras at bedtime and let your breasts relax when you sleep.
- There is no scientific evidence that bras cause damage to health. They add support and comfort and lessen back pain and shoulder pain.
- If you are confused about your bra size, you can always take the help of your mom, sister or sales girl, who would guide you for better.
Some funny facts about Bras
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University offers a degree in bra studies.
- Victoria’s Secret’s $15 million Royal Fantasy bra is the most expensive bra in the world.
- For most women, the left breast is generally bigger than the right one.
- An average woman’s bra size changes six times in her whole lifetime.
- An average woman owns nine bras.
How to use Calculator Hut’s Bra Size Calculator?
Calculator Hut’s bra size calculator allows you to find the right bra size for your perfect fit. Just enter the values of under bust and over the bust, and you can see the bra size that fits you perfectly!
Just let us know your preferred customizations at [email protected], and we would design an attractive and colorful widget as per your taste. And this is all for FREE!!
A good friend is like a good bra: lifts you, doesn’t stab you in the back, and is close to your heart!