Body Adiposity Index
⚠️ Report an Issue
Body Adiposity Index Calculator (BAI)
Difference between Adiposity and Obesity
Both adiposity and obesity are a measure of excess fat present in a human body. However, there exists a minor difference in their method of estimation.
- Obesity is estimated by taking the Body Mass Index (BMI) into consideration.
- Adiposity is estimated by taking only the person’s height and hip circumference.
- The total body weight is not considered while measuring adiposity, unlike in Body Mass Index where total body mass is accounted.
- Fact: Researches showed that on an approximation, the BAI for adult men and women is roughly equal to their percentage of body fat.
Importance of Adiposity Index
Adiposity Index is a direct sign of an unhealthy lifestyle. Abnormal ranges of adiposity indicate the possibility of the occurrence of many diseases.
Ranges of Adiposity w.r.t BMI
We know that Body Mass Index is calculated by dividing a person’s body weight with their height squared.
Want to know more about BMI calculation? We have a handy BMI Calculator with a self-help guide.
The following table shows the relation between BMI and Adiposity stages
|BMI||Stages of Adiposity|
|Adiposity stage I||30-34.9|
|Adiposity stage II||35-39.9|
|Adiposity stage III||40 and higher|
Note: The World Health Organization (WHO) defines BMI above 30 kg/m² as adiposity.
I am the only difference between Fit and Fat.
Adiposity and the Health Hazards Involved
The adipose tissue plays the main role in deciding the adiposity index of a human body. The fatty tissue is located at various places in the body:
- Beneath the skin
- Bone Marrow
- Internal Organs
- Inter Muscular System
- Breast Tissue
The main benefit of adipose tissue is it stores fat which serves two major purposes:
- Acts a thermal insulator and helps to sustain extreme cold temperatures
- Serves ad fuel reserves and provides energy to the body when deprived of energy or food sources
Now, the location where adipose tissue is storing more fat plays a major role in deciding the adiposity index of the body.
- The visceral fat (fat around the abdomen) is more harmful than fat around buttocks and upper leg area.
- Any waist circumference greater than 88 cms for women and 102 ms for men is dangerous and invites many life-risking diseases.
How to burn Abdominal Fat
We have seen that abdominal fat poses high risks. Once we start noticing that our wait size is increasing, we can try our best with these foods that help in cutting down abdominal fat.
- Hot water and honey on an empty stomach
- Tomatoes, Carrots, Celery, Mint, Curry Leaves, Beets, etc. as salads
- Pepper, Cardamom, Turmeric, Green tea, ginger, etc.
- Oats, whole grains, fresh fruits as a part of your meals
- Avoid white foods such as white rice, white noodles, refined flours.
- Opt for color-rich foods of all types.
- Walk at least one kilometer per day
- Drink minimum 8 glasses of water daily.
- Take the guidance of fitness experts and yoga trainers to choose exercises that help you to burn fat easily.
Your diet is a bank account. Good food choices are good investments.
How CalculatorHut’s Body Adiposity Index calculator helps you?
Once you have known the importance of BAI, you will want to measure your body’s BAI. For this enter the value of your height and the circumference of the hip in the columns shown. Click Calculate. You can spontaneously see your body’s BAI on the screen.
Need any help with calculating your height and weight? Check our Ideal Weight calculator.
Want to add this BAI calculator widget to your website? Drop a mail at [email protected] with your preferred customizations and get the widget setup FREE!