Ideal Weight Calculator
|Formula||In kgs||In lbs|
⚠️ Report an Issue
IDEAL WEIGHT CALCULATOR
The Ideal Weight Calculator calculates ideal Bodyweight (IBW) ranges based on height, gender, and age of the person. Several popular formulas are used to determine IBW, and our Ideal Weight Calculator provides their results for easy and simultaneous comparisons.Ideal Body Weight: Definition and Significance
Ideal body weight (IBW) is defined as the weight at which a person stays healthy. This is derived considering the height of the person as the main factor. Even the factors like gender and age also play an important role since this differs from men to women. Body development and maintenance becomes easier if one knows their IBW.
Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. - Jim Rohn
To stay healthy, maintaining healthy body weight is essential. As people gain weight, the risks of high blood pressure, diabetes, high blood cholesterol and heart disease all increase and which may even be fatal. Thus, people who are overweight or obese may need to lose weight to improve their health and to avoid all these risks. Keen on learning more about how your weight impacts your health. Check our Body Mass Index and Basal Metabolic Rate Calculators.
FORMULAE USED IN IDEAL WEIGHT CALCULATION
- Hamwi formula In 1964, G. J. Hamwi introduced a formula to calculate IBW. The main intention behind devising this formula is to study and implement medicine dosages.
- Devine formula In 1974, B. J. Devine introduced another formula similar to the Hamwi formula. This formula became a universal determinant of Ideal Body Weight.
- Robinson formula In 1983, J. D. Robinson introduced another formula which is a modified version of Devine formula.
- Miller’s formula In 1983, D. R. Miller modified Devine formula in which results are skewed higher than other formulas.
48.0 kg + 2.70 kg per inch over 5 feet
45.5 kg + 2.20 kg per inch over 5 feet
50.0 + 2.30 kg per inch over 5 feet
45.5 + 2.30 kg per inch over 5 feet
52.0 kg + 1.90 kg per inch over 5 feet
49.0 kg + 1.70 kg per inch over 5 feet
56.20 kg + 1.41 kg per inch over 5 feet
53.10 kg + 1.36 kg per inch over 5 feet
1 Pound = 0.4536 Kg
1 Inch = 2.54 cm
Other Formulae for Ideal Body Weight Determination
WOMEN: IdealBodyWeight (kgs) = 22 x (height in meters - 10cm)2
- If a person weighs 30% above their ideal body weight, then the condition is considered as obesity
- The World Health Organization (WHO) advises both men and women to maintain their BMI between 18.5 to 25.
Why should you know your ideal body weight?
Knowledge of your ideal body weight is important in various aspects:
- It allows you to set weight loss or gain goals.
- Directs you in the correct direction to change your diet and lifestyle habits.
- Helps you by providing a baseline for building muscle.
- Knowing your IBW helps you to maintain a healthy weight for your height.
How to use CalculatorHut’s Ideal Body Weight Calculator?
CalculatorHut’s ideal body weight calculator allows you to know the weight for a given height.
No diet can substitute for the wisdom of your body.
You can also conveniently add our ideal weight calculator widget to your website and make calculations instantly. Just let us know your preferred customizations at [email protected], and we would design an attractive and colorful widget as per your taste. And this is all for FREE!!