Percentage Calculator

  of  

Common Phrases (Choose any one format)

 is what % of   ?

 is   of what?




⚠️ Report an Issue

PERCENTAGE CALCULATOR

The word ‘Percent’ means ‘Parts per hundred’. This word ‘percent’ originates from the Latin phrase ‘per centum’ which means ‘per hundred’.

  • ‘%’ is the symbol for a percentage. Sometimes we also use ‘pct.’ or ‘pc’ to represent a percentage.
  • It represents a number or ratio that is given infraction of hundred.
  • The percentage has no units.
  • Percentages are generally used to represent the proportionate part of the total.
  • The percentage is also known as ‘Percentile’.

General Methods To Calculate Percentage

Method 1: X% of Y
This is used to calculate any percentage we want from a known value. Here ‘X’ may be of any value, and ‘Y’ is a known value.

Formula: (X/100) x Y
For example, 3% of 50 = (3/100) x 50 = 1.5
150% of 50 = (150/100) x 50 = 75

Method 2: X is what percent of Y
This is used to know what is the percentage of the value ‘X’ in ‘Y’.

Formula: (100/Y) x X
For example, 3 is what percent of 50 = (100/50) x 3 = 6%
150 is what percent of 50 = (100/50) x 150 = 300%

Method 3: X is Y% of what
This is used to find the final value where we have a part of the final value ‘X’ and the percentage of this part is Y% in the final value.

Formula: (X/Y) x 100
For example, 3 is 50% of what? = (3/50) x 100 = 6
50 is 150% of what? = (50/150) x 100 = 33.333

Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think, and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”- George Bernard

Some Interesting Facts about Percentage

  • The percentage symbol ‘%’ was derived from an Italian term ‘per cento’ which means ‘for a hundred’. Here ‘per’ was abbreviated as ‘p’ which is not in use now and ‘cento’ was contracted as two circles separated by a horizontal line.
  • If a value is decreased by 100%, then its final value is 0.
  • If a value is increased by 100%, then its final value is double the initial value.
  • 95% of the jellyfish body contains water and only remaining 5% contains solid mater.
  • Few ice-creams contain 75% of the air in them.
  • The human body is made up of nearly 60% of water. Infants contain 75% of water.
  • 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered by water and the remaining 29% with the land.
  • Even though there is 71% of water on the earth, nearly 97% is in the oceans which is too salty for drinking, manufacturing, and farming. Only 3% of the Earth's water supply is fresh water.
  • 25% of the people generally read slower from a computer screen compared to paper.
  • 44% of the kids watch television before going to bed.
  • There were few reports from owners of cats and dogs indicate that 21% of dogs and 7% of cats snore.
  • Only 4% of an apple is made up of minerals and vitamins, and over 80% is made up of water.
  • Nearly 75-90% of primary physician visits are due to stress.
  • 12% to 15% of the world’s population is left-handed.
  • Water expands by 9% when it is frozen.
  • Sun has 70% hydrogen, 28% helium, 1.5% carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen, and 0.5% of all other elements.
  • The chances for a plane crash are extremely small. It happens 1 in 1.2 million that is only about 0.000083% of planes ever crash.

How to use CalculatorHut’s Percentage Calculator?

Enter the numbers for which you want to calculate the percentages. Our percentage calculator is very useful in finding out percentages for larger values and many numbers, where it is very difficult to find out manually.

You can also conveniently add our percentage calculator widget to your website and make calculations instantly. Just let us know your preferred customizations at [email protected], and we would design an attractive and colorful widget as per your taste for FREE!!

Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.” – Irving Berlin

Privacy Policy ©2018-2019 Calculatorhut.com | Terms Of Use