⚠️ Report an Issue
Meaning of Ratios and Aspect Ratios
A brief introduction
Ratio is a relationship between two numbers which defines how many time value X can contain value Y. For example if a juice contains 2 bananas and 3 apples, the ratio of bananas to apples is 2:3, similarly ratio of apples to bananas is 3:2 and the ratio of bananas to the total amount of juice is 2:5
In recent times ratios are mainly used in the form of aspect ratio.
Aspect ratio means the proportional width and height of a screen or an image. Common aspect ratios and their meaning
|Name||Aspect Ratio||Width in Pixels||Height in Pixel|
|2160p (4K UHD)||16:9||3840||2160|
|4320p (8K UHD)||16:9||7680||4320|
The ratio is defined as the relation between two similar magnitudes concerning the number of times the first contains the second.
It is a relationship between two numbers A and B, which defines how many times value A can contain value B.
The ratio of numbers A and B is represented (termed) in many ways:
- The ratio of A to B
- A is to B
- A divided by B (A/B)
Common points about Ratios
Ratios, which are in terms of two more significant numbers, can be reduced by dividing the quantities with common terms of all quantities.
For example The ratios 60:10 is equal to 6:1 A comparison of the quantities of a two-entity ratio can be written as a fraction derived from the ratio.As of 2017’s statistics, the worldwide female to male population ratio is 100:102
- Proportion is defined as equality of two ratios Assume that we have two pairs of quantities a, b and c, d is in proportion. Then their ratios must be equal, i.e., a/b=c/d.
- Only if a/b and c/d are equal, then we can state that the ratios are proportional to each other.
- We also can express the proportion as a : b:: c: d, where ‘::’ is the symbol of proportionality. Here a and d are called as ‘extremes,’ and b and c are called as ‘means’.
- Assume that we have a: b:: c : d. We read it as “a is to b as c is to d”.
- If the quantities are said to be in proportion, then the product of means must be equal to the product of extremes. This is derived by writing them in an algebraic equation.
- Both ratios and proportions are unitless, as they relate to quantities with the units in same dimensions.
- We use ratios even for three or even more terms; e.g., the proportion for the edge lengths of a "four by five" that is ten inches long is therefore Thickness: width : length = 4 : 5 :10
Some interesting facts about Ratios and Proportions
- The lengths of two sides of a triangle and the lengths of the corresponding two sides of any other similar (same-shaped) triangle are said to be proportion if the ratio of the two sides of the first can be proved to be the same as the ratio of the two sides of the second.
- Golden section, also known as the Divine Proportion, is a special proportion where we have a/b=b/(a+b)
- The ratio between any sides of an equilateral triangle is always 1.
- Similar to the equilateral triangle, the ratio between any sides of a square is always 1.
- A perfect concrete mix (in volume units) is sometimes expressed as Cement : Sand : Gravel=1:2:4
- Odds of winning are generally expressed in ratios. For example, in 10 games, 7:3 states that the chance of winning the game is 7 and losing it is 3.
- Early translators rendered this into Latin as ratio meant "reason" as in the word "rational" If a number is rational then it can be expressed as the quotient of two integers.
- The word ‘ratio’ came in the mid-17th century, from Latin; it meant ‘reckoning’, from ‘rat’ which means ‘reckoned.’
How to use CalculatorHut’s Common Ratio Calculator?CalculatorHut’s common ratio calculator allows you to find the amount of fourth quantity to be mixed to the third one to make proportion to the first and second.
All you need is to enter any three quantities, and you will get the fourth quantity ratio. This saves your time by giving an accurate answer in seconds.