Mileage is often a key consideration when one is opting to purchase a new bike or a car. In the backdrop of fluctuating fuel prices, it is most budget lovers would choose for the one which gives the best mileage. Let us understand a few facts and concepts involved with this oft-heard term.
What does mileage mean?
When you say your bike has 60kmpl as its mileage, it means that your bike can run 60 kilometers on one liter of fuel. So now you must have got an idea what mileage is. Yes, Mileage is the distance in miles for which a vehicle can travel on one liter of fuel.
The key idea behind everyone owning a vehicle is to reduce the cost of commute, that often involves cabs, and other private vehicles, besides saving time spent on public transport such as buses and trains. Thus, having knowledge of do’s and don’ts of mileage helps in a great deal to achieve the best return on cost spent on the vehicle and fuel.
Mileage makes Champions.
– Steve Fairbairn
How can you increase the mileage of your vehicle?
- Run the vehicle at a constant speed. Changing the speed too often can empty the fuel tank faster than expected.
- Get your vehicle serviced at designated intervals of time. A vehicle is healthy; the owner can be wealthy!!
- Approach an authorized service provider for regular service or change of spare parts. This will ensure quality in the long run and minor damage to your vehicle.
- Prefer the green way! Keep your tires pressure always to their optimal levels. Fill them with nitrogen to increase the mileage and opt for lower emission fuels though the cost is little higher.
- Avoid timings where there is high traffic. Take routes that will have minor traffic. This way you can ride at a constant speed without needing to run on lower gear and can save your travel time too.
- Make the best use of Google Maps. Get ideas where routes are precise and drive happily!
- Fill your fuel tank as early as possible in the daytime. As it gets hotter, the fuel becomes less dense, and you end up with lesser fuel than that you would get in the morning, for the same amount.
Avoid these to increase the mileage of your vehicle:
- Do not use lower gears for a prolonged period. They are the ones that consume the fuel fastest.
Avoid riding at highest speeds or in erratic patterns, though this may seem fancy, you are wasting fuel at the cost of your safety.
- Do not keep the vehicle ON at the traffic signals. Switch off your vehicle, breathe for a while, and let others breathe too!
- Keeping up the right tire pressure and adjusting drive chain tension the right way is essential.
- Riding zig zag at top speed upset these factors and use up more fuel.
- Avoid covering the engine at the sides or front for show off or decoration purposes.
- Remember that your vehicle fins are meant for your vehicle to breathe and cool down.
- Avoid using the clutch as much as possible. This increases the lifespan of the clutch and increases your vehicle’s mileage too.
How can you use CalculatorHut’s mileage calculator?
If you are confused how many liters or gallons your vehicle is giving, use CalculatorHut’s mileage calculator for clarity. Next time you want to calculate your vehicle’s mileage, note down the reading first, fill the fuel ( if your vehicle is on an empty tank), start your drive and at the end note how many kilometers you have traveled.
Enter all the values in CalculatorHut’s mileage calculator, and see your vehicle’s mileage appear in front of your eyes!
It’s not the years Honey; it’s the Mileage